Friday 30 August 2013

Karim Rashid: Networking



Photo from www.gorenjegroup.com



Hello All!

This article was written a while ago but it wasn't until now that I've discovered it. This article brings up a few interesting points I want to discuss. During the interview, Rashid states



"I don’t believe in networking. Talent and hard work is the way to succeed."
Photo from afflante.com

While I don't find this hard to believe (coming from an internationally known designer), I am not 100% convinced about this belief.

I would love to believe that in this world, hard work + talent = success. It's more like determination + talent + luck = success. In this day and age where everyone knows a "designer" and everyone is a "designer", it's even more competitive now in the world of design than it ever has been.

Photo from Sketch*Karim @Duuplex


As I learned from my Design History class, there are more famous designers now in the 21st century than before. The advancement in technology and variety in styles have opened many designers into international superstars. And television makes design so much more accessible to the everyday person.

We've built such a competitive society, that any edge over the competition could mean getting hired/choosing another applicant for the job.

Photo from Sketch*Karim @Duuplex

What is that special edge? Is a spectacular portfolio? A unique personality? A je ne sais quoi about your work that speaks to the human subconscious and can save the world? Nope. It's who you happen to be friends with. This applies especially to beginning designers who need a first or second project to launch their careers.

It sounds cynical I know. But I'm only a student and from listening to designers who have been in the field for some time, they've all advise me to network; Join design committees or volunteer. It seems mandatory if you want a head start in this field.

I hope I'm wrong.

Sources:

Article

 


No comments:

Post a Comment