Friday 7 November 2014

The Third Floor From Hell

Week 10: Wayfinding and Crime Prevention


Image: Plan for the 3rd floor Design Section at Richmond Campus (Source: kpu.ca)

If you ever been to the 3rd floor at Kwantlen Richmond, you know what I'm talking about. It is the worst floor I've ever needed to navigate. From the zig-zagging walls and overall sense of claustrophobia, it was terrible to walk through when I was trying to find the microwave. 



As a new student this year from BCIT, the whole building was a maze to navigate. Coming up from the central Rotunda is a very nice experience but after, choosing which corridor to go down is a game of chance. The numbers indicating which rooms are down that corridor help but only works if you know the room number. Trying to find the design lab, sewing lab or microwave is difficult as there may not be a specific room (or is not often referred to as their room number). 





So it was my first full day at Kwantlen and I needed to heat up my lunch. Originally, I was suppose to have lunch with a bunch of other people but I decided that I needed to find the microwave on the third floor so I can skip the lineup at the one downstairs at the KSA, I was told that it was on the third floor next to the sewing lab at the end of the hall and that I can access it from the fire exit stairs next to the Fashion Department. I went down the hall, went up the fire exit stairs and pulled open the door to find myself at an end of the hall. 





In retrospect, I now know that the microwaves are in the student lounge right next to the fire stairs. However, during that trip I thought I was at the end of the hall and that the microwave was at the other end because the opening to the student lounge was tight and squishy. The slanted wall that leads into 3082 looked like an opening towards another path instead of a classroom. The wall of the corridor were so narrow and tight. It didn't feel nice to walk through as it was dark and lack natural light. The doors to the private offices were open and felt like an extension of the hallway. I didn't realize I was in a semi-private space until I read the name plates on the room. 
Image: Door to the private offices is always open

Image: Private offices for administration for the design department

Thankfully, no one saw me wander into the admin area. I turned around and saw the arrow pointing to another corridor. I thought that the elusive microwave must be done that way. I mean where else could it be? The walls down that path were super close and I felt really claustrophobic. I followed down that wall way and ended up in the central rotunda. I was confused how I even got there. There was another corridor leading into a different branch of the building. I went down that one and ended up in the design lab. I was utterly confused about where it was.

Image: I just found out that there's a microwave in the printer area. I thought that printer space was private! 

I decided to go back to the fire escape to double check the area around the fire escape again. I knew I didn't actually peek into the space beside the fire escape. I headed to the original fire escape again to check it out. And this is what I saw:

Image: Student lounge space
Where was the microwave? I found the design lab but where could I heat up the food? I decided to look closer.

Image: Oh what's this?
Image: There it is!


I was super frustrated by the time I found the microwave. I spent a good half an hour trying to find it. I wander around the halls of the third floor aimlessly while the graphic and product students were staring at me. However, finding the microwave did give me an overwhelming sense of happiness and pride. Maybe that's why men don't ask for directions when they're clearly lost; because pride. 

To make this an easier process, I wish someone actually went with me so I didn't have to try to find it myself. There should be signage to state where the student lounge was. I didn't even know that it was a student lounge. It was a cramped corner that looked more like a study area than one where food was to be eaten. The built environment doesn't assist in navigating either. The lack of natural light and views to the outside makes the users lose track of orientation to building/outside. I didn't know how the graphics hallway related to the Rotunda. 

But what would be the best help was providing students with more microwaves at the KSA or other obvious food areas. I'm aware that the school has a contract with Tim Hortons and providing microwaves wouldn't be encouraging sales. However, having 1 microwave for for the general student population is ridiculous. The school is obviously pushing for sales at these unhealthy chain franchises rather than advocating for healthier eating (IE. Grassroots cafe). Especially with the food court at Lansdowne mall and Richmond Center a couple of minutes away, the school needs to push harder for healthier eating. This may not directly be a Human factors issue, but it promotes harm to users as it breeds unhealthy habits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment